Elite Amateur Sport Football Universities


~~~~~~~~~ Advertisement ~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~ Advertisement ~~~~~~~~~

GeeGees blow out Varsity Blues after a perfect game on both sides of the football. File photo.

Submitted by uOttawa sports information

At the 2011 uOttawa homecoming football game, the Gee-Gees defeated the University of Toronto Varsity Blues in convincing fashion, 41-0, on September 24 at Frank Clair Stadium. Toronto was the only team to beat the Gee-Gees in the regular season last year.

“It was important to come out here and limit our mistakes,” said Gee-Gees head coach Jean-Philippe Asselin. “We played well as a team and we executed our game plan.”

The Varsity Blues offense drove the ball to the Gee-Gees 18-yard line on their opening drive. However, Ottawa got a crucial interception from second-year linebacker Nick Lecour, from Ottawa, Ont., to keep Toronto off the scoreboard. Gee-Gees fourth-year kicker Matt Falvo, Welland, Ont., soon scored a 40-yard field goal, as uOttawa led 3-0 early in the first quarter.

The Gee-Gees offense woke up on their next possession, with third-year running back Brendan Gillanders rushing for 12 yards on the first play of the drive. Fourth-year uOttawa quarterback Aaron Colbon, Ottawa, Ont., found third-year receiver Simon Le Marquand, Gatineau, Que., for a 39-yard pass to move uOttawa into Toronto territory. The drive was capped off by a one-yard touchdown run from Gillanders, increasing the Gee-Gees lead to 10-0. Colbon completed 17 of 26 passes for 244 yards, and had three passing touchdowns on the day.

“We knew what they liked to do in the red zone and we were able to capitalize on what we saw out there,” said Colbon.

~~~~~~~~~ Advertisement ~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~ Advertisement ~~~~~~~~~

With the Gee-Gees leading 13-0 early in the second quarter, third-year defensive back Ty Ruznak picked off another pass from Toronto quarterback Andrew Gillis. This set up a 6-yard touchdown pass from Colbon to second-year running back Franck Ngandui.

“We were trying to be aggressive, trying to get in their face. We played our game and did not worry about what they were doing. I think we accomplished that today,” said Ruznak.

The Varsity Blues did have some chances to cut into the Gee-Gees lead. However, Toronto had a long touchdown pass called back due to a penalty and also fumbled on a fake field-goal attempt. Gillis then threw his third interception to third-year defensive back Francois Rodrigue, St-Georges de Beauce, Que. Gillanders scored his second rushing touchdown on the ensuing drive, giving uOttawa a 27-0 lead at the half.   

Ottawa never let up after the intermission as Ngandui had a 12-yard touchdown reception, after another interception by the Gee-Gees. Overall, Ottawa’s defense forced 8 turnovers on the day.

“We had a good week of practice and in the game, it showed,” said Gee-Gees defensive co-ordinator Cory McDiarmid. “Anytime you can force a zero on the board, it’s exciting because that doesn’t happen a lot. We were very happy about that.”

The Gee-Gees would add one final touchdown, courtesy of rookie receiver Ian Stewart, Burlington, Ont., who caught a 32-yard scoring pass from Colbon. Ottawa preserved the shutout for a 41-0 victory.

The Gee-Gees will now travel to Laurier next weekend to take on the Golden Hawks (1-3 in OUA). The game is set for Saturday, October 1st at 1:00 p.m., and will be nationally televised on The Score.

HELP SHINE A LIGHT ON LOCAL SPORT! The Ottawa Sports Pages has proudly provided a voice for local sport for over 10 years, but we need your help to continue another 10 and beyond. Please donate to the Ottawa Sports Pages Fund today.

Leave a Reply