OTTAWA COMMUNITY SPORT MEDIA TEAM
Position Title: Digital News Product Developer
Organization: Ottawa Community Sport Media Team
Location: Ottawa, Ont. (remote)
Application Deadline: July 5, 2021.
Hours: 30 hours/week
Rate of Pay: $29/hour
Dates of Employment: July 12 – December 31, 2021.
The Ottawa Community Sport Media Team is currently seeking a Digital News Product Developer to help our local sports news organization shift from a print-first focus into a stronger multimedia publication. The Digital News Product Developer will gain comprehensive experience while working to enhance our online presence and develop new digital platforms. Training opportunities are possible.
This position is offered by through Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada’s Digital Tech Internships program. Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the program:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
About our organization:
The Ottawa Community Sport Media Team is a not-for-profit organization devoted to celebrating the successes of our local amateur sports community through the Ottawa Sports Pages newspaper, the Saturday Sports Pages newsletter and the OttawaSportsPages.ca web site; and to provide free sports opportunities in conjunction with our partner sports clubs to low-income children and youth.
Published seven times per year, the Ottawa Sports Pages is a free newspaper that covers high school, university, community club, junior and elite amateur sport. Our motivation is to recognize the achievements of Ottawa’s grassroots sports community, which are almost always overlooked by other media sources. Our website and newsletter have the same focus.
Find out more at: https://ottawasportspages.ca/content/ottawa-sportspage-0/
The Ottawa Community Sport Media Team also works hand-in-hand with the Ottawa Community Housing Foundation’s recLINK program to deliver free sports opportunities to children/youth from local social housing communities in a program called the Connecting Athletes of All Means to Paths in Sport Project (CAMPS Project).
Find out more at: http://ottawasportscamps.ca/about-us/
Our organization is committed to promoting inclusion and diversity in our news coverage, and in our work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
About the position:
The Digital News Product Developer will contribute to a variety of tasks and projects, including:
• Enhancements to OttawaSportsPages.ca WordPress website
– implement ad management server
– design of digital advertisements
– deliver new specialized digital advertising options
– develop online ad booking system & partner packages
– integrate donation payment methods
– posting of archived content on new website
• Audience growth & engagement
– promotion of newsletter
– liaise with partners to spread word & encourage sign-ups
– plan and execute digital advertising/marketing campaigns for our news products
– engage with social media audiences and organize strategic post schedule
– interaction with readers to learn interests
– track and communicate audience metrics
– support planning & execution of fundraising campaign
– assist in Ottawa Sports Pages 10th anniversary celebration projects
– develop partner recognition initiatives
– facilitate participation in Google News Initiative & execute related strategies
• Development of Ottawa Sports Pages mobile app
– standard features of news app
– post notifications delivered to phones
– calendar and links for Ottawa at the Olympics updates
• Modernization of OttawaSportsCAMPS.ca website to increase traffic
The ideal candidate will:
• be well-versed with all aspects of WordPress platform
• be knowledgeable of digital tools available to news publishers
• demonstrate successful audience growth strategies and ideas
• be solutions-oriented and have the ability to work independently
• have an eye for design and be comfortable with Adobe Creative Suite
• strong written communication skills
• be social media savvy and creative
• solid understanding of news media
• be energized by the opportunity to take a leading role within a small team, and to bring projects from conception to life
• believe in our raison d’être: to give a voice to Ottawa’s amateur sport scene that’s almost always overlooked by mainstream media, and to provide free sports opportunities to local kids from low-income neighbourhoods.
• ability to contribute to our organization’s journalism activities (reporting or video creation) would be a definite asset
Post-secondary education in web development, digital technology, marketing, communications, or related field. Training opportunities possible.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter outlining their interest in the position and their qualifications, and a resume highlighting relevant past experience and education, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 5, 2021. Selected applicants will be contacted to arrange a telephone interview on July 7.