OTTAWA COMMUNITY SPORT MEDIA TEAM
Job title: Promotions Manager
Organization: Ottawa Community Sport Media Team
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2021
Salary: $3,990 for 280 total work hours ($14.25/hr)
The Ottawa Community Sport Media Team is currently seeking to hire a Promotions Manager for a position offered as part of the Canada Summer Jobs program. The Promotions Manager will be employed for a total of 280 hours. The anticipated dates of employment are June 7-October 22, 2021, with a flexible schedule averaging 14 hours of work per week.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the Canada Summer Jobs program:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
About our organization:
The Ottawa Community Sport Media Team is a not-for-profit organization devoted to celebrating the successes of our local amateur sports community through the Ottawa Sports Pages newspaper, the Saturday Sports Pages newsletter and the OttawaSportsPages.ca web site; and to provide free sports opportunities in conjunction with our partner sports clubs to low-income children and youth.
Published seven times per year, the Ottawa Sports Pages is a free newspaper that covers high school, university, community club, junior and elite amateur sport. Our motivation is to recognize the achievements of Ottawa’s grassroots sports community, which are almost always overlooked by other media sources. Our website and newsletter have the same focus.
Find out more at: https://ottawasportspages.ca/content/ottawa-sportspage-0/
The Ottawa Community Sport Media Team also works hand-in-hand with the Ottawa Community Housing Foundation’s recLINK program to deliver free sports opportunities to children/youth from local social housing communities through a program called the Connecting Athletes of All Means to Paths in Sport Project (CAMPS Project).
Find out more at: http://ottawasportscamps.ca/about-us/
Our organization is committed to promoting inclusion and diversity through our work, and in our work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
About the position:
The Promotions Manager will play a key role in the Ottawa Community Sport Media Team’s evolution into a modern media company, while also deepening our connection to the community.
The Promotions Manager will mainly be responsible for developing and executing digital audience building/engagement strategies, assisting in the development of a fundraising campaign, creating visual and video content for our website/social media, and helping to plan a 10th anniversary celebration for the Ottawa Sports Pages.
This position will provide an opportunity for an ambitious individual to make a big impact on a small organization. It will allow the selected young professional to demonstrate their leadership skills, independence and innovation, and to gain experience in a wide range of areas beneficial to their ongoing career objectives.
• Develop and execute digital audience building/engagement strategies
• social media posts highlighting Sports Pages stories
• messages to featured subjects, push content to partners’ networks
• promotion of Ottawa at the Olympics/Paralympics daily newsletter during Tokyo Games
• sponsor identification, attraction & recognition
• facilitate participation in Google News Initiative
• Create visual and video content for website/social media
• shoot clips from summertime CAMPS Project programs
• tell CAMPS Project participants/OCH families’ stories
• 10-year anniversary video reflections
• graphics for use on social media/in promotional packages
• Assist in the development of fundraising campaign
• identify outreach strategies to engage potential donors
• liaise with local foundations
• establish promotional calendar
• manage Facebook, Google or other advertising
• media engagement
• Help to plan a 10th anniversary celebration for the Ottawa Sports Pages
• contact with host facility to execute early Fall outdoor gathering
• schedule of events/activities
• manage invites
• coordinate with speakers/distinguished guests
• capture photo/video from event
• special section for 10-year anniversary edition of newspaper
• website archiving
• partner recognition
Responsibilities will be tailored to best match the selected candidate’s experience, skills and interest (expertise is not required in all areas outlined above). Prospective in-person tasks will occur only if public health conditions permit it safely. The Promotions Manager will be based at their home/remote office, with weekly supervision meetings conducted by video call or phone, along with frequent contact by e-mail.
Interested candidates should submit their applications – including cover letter, resume, and any examples of past work – to firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday, May 15.
Interviews by video call for select candidates are planned for May 18/19. Finalists will then be asked to assemble a promotions plan to achieve this project’s desired outcomes (for which they will be paid a consulting fee), and submit it for May 28.
Dan Plouffe, Ottawa Community Sport Media Team Executive Director
345 Meadowbreeze Dr., Kanata, Ont., K2M 0K3, Canada
Tel: (613) 261-5838, E-mail: email@example.com